Saturday, September 3, 2011

FOOD FOR STARVING ARTISTS

Vivi-Mari's Lentil & Coriander Soup

Like other creative people, cooking comes fairly easily to me. I have created many recipes and have contributed to cookbooks. This is part of our lifestyle. My attention span makes it difficult for me to follow recipes, but in all honesty I guess I also like the creative challenge of cooking something up spontaneously, not always knowing how successful it will be. While Martin is a slow food cook (though normally he does the dishes so I prepare dinner), I am a fast food cook - this means I take very little time to cook and I have been told by some people that the whole process looks quite mind-blowing because of my rapid moves. 

I am not going to inundate the blog with recipes but I thought to share this variation on a classic British theme, as it's cheap, tasty and nutritious. Lentil soup is something you buy in a can or a plastic container in every supermarket. Here is a tastier version:

VIVI-MARI'S LENTIL & CORIANDER SOUP

250 g red lentils (you can use green ones but you have to experiment with the volume), cooked

5 small carrots, cut in  medium sized pieces
Small piece of celeriac, cut in medium sized pieces
3 potatoes, cut in medium sized pieces
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 tablespoons Swiss Marigold vegetable stock (powder)
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 l boiling water

> Add all ingredients to the water and simmer for 5 mins. Then add the lentils as well as
1 dl double cream
Fresh or frozen coriander, a handful (frozen is handy because you can just squeeze the bag to a powder and throw it in)

Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 - 20 mins until soft. Blend gently with a handmixer or in a food processor.
If you leave it overnight it will be even tastier the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment